04 October 2007

Somebody call a doctor



Because I had no emotions at all during the first game of the NLDS between Chicago and Arizona. I didn't flinch anytime when the Cubs went 1-for-10 with runners in scoring position. Nor did I get excited when they finally scratched out a run against Brandon Webb.

I just witnessed a very good baseball game that Arizona deserved to win. They got clutch long balls when they needed them, some good defensive plays and Webb had his nasty sinker working.

Also the pundits who say manager Lou Pinella cost his squad the game by pulling Zambrano after six innings are just nit-picking.

Last I checked Carlos Marmol was one of, if not the best reliever in baseball. Him giving up a monsterous shot to Mark Reynolds in the seventh caught me be surprised as well.



Pinella is an old-school type of manager who relies on his gut (which is ever-expanding) as much as match-up data. Would it been better if it was Zambrano who gave up the go-ahead run in the seventh inning instead of Marmol? Then he would have been criticized for leaving Big Z in the game too long.

The game I was watching had Chicago losing because of situations like the third:

Top 3rd: Chi Cubs
- C. Zambrano doubled to left center
- A. Soriano struck out swinging
- J. Jones struck out swinging
- D. Lee struck out looking


I have a feeling one of the next two games will be a slugfest. We'll see who comes out on top.

BLAST FROM THE PAST

I am rooting for the Rockies. However my allegiances will switch today when Philadelphia trots Kyle Kendrick to the mound. When I say that I have watched the kid grow up, I'm being literal. I remember writing a story about him when he was a stud Little League player.

The thing I always noticed about Kendrick is he was always humble, even if he was by far the best athlete on the baseball or football field. I interviewed with him the day he got drafted by the Phillies. He thanked every single coach he played for and his family. No ego whatsoever. It's hard not to root for a professional athlete like that.

ARTIST OF THE POST


Cat Power - Hauntingly powerful.

No comments: