03 October 2007

Guaranteeing rain on Friday

Now I try to stay positive most of the time. However there are just some forces that are beyond your control. Maybe after years of planning, I finally am getting wise to the predisposed fact that if I make plans to climb on a given day, the weather will not cooperate.

I'm not trying to be gloomy - though the skies will be on Friday. However I think my personal joke of "I should move to the Sahara because I could make it an Eden." actually has some truth to it.

When you live in Washington, rain is inevitable - in fact it is a given. For years on our drives north of the border to British Columbia, we would fictitiously sell our souls in order to appease the puissant powers that play with us like marionettes in order to garner favor for a dry day at Squamish.

It worked, and the soul mercantile continued, until we ran out of souls. So we would put the spirits of people we knew in hock - we're sorry, we're paying off the Beelzebub Pawn Shop for the return of these pristine animes.

After the move to Colorado - a locale that boasts about 300 days of sunshine a year, we thought our struggle was over. So much for assumptions. Time and time again the weather spirits laughed at our folly, and if it wasn't rain, it was snow or heavy winds.

So Friday I have plans to go to The Flatirons for a quick romp before work that afternoon. I mean this looks fun doesn't it?



A nice easy 3-pitch climb on the textured goodness that is the Flatiron's sandstone - and it even has a rappel tree to boot.



So with this in mind, I do not have to possess the meteorological acumen of my friend Jason to inform you to turn off your automated sprinkler system on Friday. A wet front will swoop down from someplace near Boulder and bring a steady drizzle through the early part of Friday into the early afternoon.

Though I do have some friends whose souls I haven't bartered with...

Devil laugh

1 comment:

SMG said...

Jason will argue that 300 days of sunshine with you. He just gave me the lecture this weekend.