12 October 2007

Is this thing on?

So my shoot in Boulder went well. Got up at the early-to-me (still trying to acquire a sleep schedule after two months of alternating between early morning and afternoon shifts) time of 7:30 am, got lucky with a no-traffic window and got out to INSTAAR (Institute of Arctic and Alpine Research) just off the University of Colorado campus early for my interview.

Wasn't sure what to expect. I never talked to my victim, er, interview on the phone, only corresponded via a few emails which were terse on his part. My biggest fear is he would be one of those types that have allowed their education go to their head. You know, the ones that earned their PhD and demand to be called "Doctor".

Sure I'm a bit rusty out in the field. Considering much of my time is behind a desk, it's not like I haven't done this before. Hell, I've interviewed everybody from senators to 4-year-old children. I just didn't want what could be a fun story to be ruined by somebody who was stuffy.

However I felt he couldn't be that bad of a guy after checking out his personal page. C'mon, can this guy look intimidating?



The interview went well and Mark wound up being a guy I could go have a beer with. The interesting part was also being the videographer as well. During the interview, I constantly was thinking about framing and if I should zoom in for a vistage shot and what kind of lighting do I have, is the bloody thing recording? You know, the important stuff.

But this is really only for the sound that might be overlaid on some B roll I get next week. So we set up an appointment to meet Tuesday morning and head up to Niwot Ridge so I can get the money shots.





It is interesting what they do. For instance, they have discovered their is more nitrogen release in the winter and that level has quadrupled in the past 20 years. Why? They discovered life. Seriously! They discovered microbes that only exist predominately in the winter time that like the insulating effect of the snow. If I lived up in the Indian Peaks I would want to be insulated as well. The wind blows on an average at 25 mph. That is gale warning speed. One researcher has discovered that at just over 100 mph, one can actually fly! Might have to take a few more sojourns back to the area this winter!!



Plans for the weekend? None really. Probably try to fall off some rocks on Saturday. Been invited out on Sunday but my place is in desperate need of a cleaning. Plus I have yet to put my books back up after staining my downstairs bookshelf. It'll be much easier to put on the apron with cruddy weather outside.

ARTIST OF THE POST
Elliot Smith - Many know him from his song from Good Will Hunting. Took his life in 2003. Hope it was poetic and he found peace.

No comments: