16 February 2008

The best two paws you could see

Coming up Sunday on News2 at Nine:



Saturday I got up at the way-too early hour of 5:15 am to meet up with one of our photogs Dan and shoot a story on avalanche dogs at Copper Mountain Ski Resort. The pro patrol put three dogs through drills and during the training for the second dog, Dan and I both volunteered to be buried. Dan did it to get video for an anchor package which will run on Sunday. And I did it because I've never been buried before.

It's a blue grave. What it looks like being buried alive.



It wasn't nearly as scary or claustrophobic as I thought it would be. It was a small snow cave I was in, as opposed to being suffocated by avalanche debris. The interesting thing was how blue and how quiet everything was. The only sound I heard was footsteps from the patrol guy John when he got close and when his dog Tracker marked me.

She then went on to extricate Dan first and then came back to me. It was an interesting sound hearing her dig and then lunge into my tiny shaft of freedom with two furry paws.

Cascade finding the third, and deepest victim




ARTIST OF POST
- Snow Patrol. Ok I admit it, really corny for me to choose this group given the nature of the post. It is interesting listening to a song that was so identifiable several months ago yet has no meaning now. I've moved on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

BTW, loved this story. It has inspired JB to train the pooches to find lost treats -- in the house. He closes the dogs in a room and hides treats all over the house. Then he releases the dogs and commands them to find the treats.

JB seems to believe that the Golden is better at searching for treats than the Hound. However, I think that the Hound has a better nose, but the Golden is just more trainable. :)