29 April 2009

Berthoud Pass Backcountry... kinda

It's too easy to be the backcountry, too populated and too accessible. When you have snowboarders building ramps for hucking while a boombox (yes, a real live boombox) plays Sir Mix-a-lot, can it really be considered backcountry?

Backcountry, sidecountry, in between-country, who cares? It was still a lot of fun. And for a change I didn't mind just strapping the skins on, walking across the highway and skinning up the mountainside.

Snow was wet corn below treeline. Above treeline it was wind-scourged hard. I was there for some fun turns, not some ignominious summit. So when I reached a weather antenna with a rocky area crowned with a cairn. I stopped, switched over and shot down.

Views from the wx antenna









Nice cornice


I contemplated climbing up the peak. It was maybe 15 more minutes. But I didn't have the confidence or insanity to drop down and ski that face.


The Shuksans are hungry for more. Look at those greedy, hungry visages!


Last run of the day the snow was getting gloppy. I had put in well over 3,000 feet of climbing in and the quads were getting a little tired.

No comments: