15 April 2009

Steamboat and taxes

A comedy of errors, or could it be a healthy dose of hubris?

Maybe a warning never to think life is going well; it will give you an atomic wedgie when you've got your back turned.

For all rights and purposes, 2009 has been a good year so far. I'm happy, enjoying life, feeling content with things.

Then I did my taxes...

Now I knew I was going to owe money, I just didn't think how much I owed would be what I owed. Yes I procrastinated because I knew I owe. It's sophomoric thinking, but I want the government to wait as long as possible for my money if I owe.

So I see some masochistic bouldering in the plans for this afternoon to get out this aggression.

However looking back to happier times, went up to Steamboat Springs over the weekend. I've wanted to go for several years now but for some reason or another, I never made the trek.

The snow was not inspiring when we began skiing on Saturday.

Jess doing a backwards roll to get out of Fakey







Early afternoon brought a gift though. We saw the clouds sitting low, black and ominously to the west. Soon the upper part of the mountain was covered in fog. Soon flakes began spitting out. Then it began hailing Styrofoam. Then it was a full-on white out

Looking from a mid-mountain hut. There is a chairlift not more than 30 feet away.


It was the last weekend the mountain was open, so the food selection was very sparse.

Mmmm, Doritos for lunch, washed down with a full-bodied Bud Light.


After 20 minutes of warming up, we hit the mountain again. Hardly anybody was out during the snow squall. But in that hour's time about 2 inches of satin fell. It was glorious skiing.





We skied the full day - barely making the final chair out of the untamed backside of Morningside Peak and then piecing together which runs and chairs we needed for the long -- over 4,000 feet vert -- to get back to the base.



The night was spent going to an expensive steakhouse where Jess felt conned out of her money; she bought dinner. Now the steaks were delicious - however they made you cook it yourself. You were given your pick of meat, as if you were selecting at a butcher shop, and then sent to a grill with cooking instructions.

If you are a DIY type person, then you'll love the 8th Street Steakhouse.

A quick nap, a failed aborted attempt to find the Hot Springs without directions and soon we were downtown Steamboat at a bar hosting an 80s party. Shots were taken - I'm still not sure how I was able to get out of bed the next day.

Sunday was slow going. My legs were jelly and neither of us were enthused on getting in only half a day of skiing since the last chair went out at 2:30 p.m.

Instead we went to Strawberry Park Hot Springs. I highly recommend the drive. It is about 12 miles north of town by a dirt road (I suggest good tires or 4WD). It is clean, quaint and extremely relaxing.

No comments: