15 October 2008

Finally back on some rock

After only worked a handful of hours in the past week and a half, I really haven't done jack with this time off. Having interviews and looking for other jobs is a full-time gig in itself.

After yesterday's dose of bad news followed by more this morning, i decided to make up for being a cliche last night and sweat out my hangover with a good day of bouldering.

While driving to Evergreen I couldn't decide what I was in the mood for; slabby highballs, overhanging buttkickers or crimpfests of pain. I decided to check out a new area on the south side of The Brothers to see the potential. After much scrubbing and some knocking off loose rock - and whacking my knee a few times - a problem was born.



Took me a while because I wasn't sure what I was shooting to was going to be a good handhold, or even something that wasn't going to break off.

Further up the slope I found this beauty. You start by straddling the arete on a sit start, reach up to some bomber holds below the roof, heel hook and reach up and grab a big knob on the roof, turn the corner and then grunt up to the top.




On the other side is another fun sit start. More to the right yields some positive starting holds. More to the arete is just plain fun. Actually was tougher than the roof. Topping out is a chore.



Hiked back over east and went by The Eggs. Worked a few problems on this block. To the left of the tree shadow is an easier route but the right hand seems hollow and the topout is wallowing you hips over the lip. The problem on the right is thin and spit me off a few times until I got the body tension down. From there it was a nervous crimp up high left and a smear of faith.




Good day out. Got home to read an email stating I was terminated. I guess I'll have more time to boulder now.

No comments: