15 August 2008

Things I've learned this week

So what's so great about this video? It's raining. It's been raining for over 12 hours and we have a couple more days of rain in the forecast. The summer we've been having here in Colorado, it feels wonderful. And from having lived in Washington, it feels normal.

* If one really wants a job, don't disagree with somebody during an interview. While I have not received word, but the absence of contact following a 2-week rush of calls, emails and Air Checks sent to me, leads me to deduce that KRCR is going with their other finalist.

* If you want me to run a newsroom, you can't expect me to bow down and eat up every word your corporate consultant spouts out like a baby bird. That's not to say I dismissed everything he said and what we discussed, but you're wanting to bring me aboard for my management style, let me do that.

* I'm getting too old to ever, ever, EVER drink Jaeger again. Wednesday was Ian's birthday. Met a group out after work down at a place on Colfax. There were Jaeger shots. I shouldn't do Jaeger shots I've discovered. Out late, got home, went to bed, and woke up in the middle of the night. This wasn't drunk sick - wasn't drunk - this was just plain vomiting sick. I am detoxing for the rest of the week.

* Free soloing while hung-over really isn't fun. I was happy to get to the top of my climb and grab some Gatorade.

* There is a reason I've never seen a guy on a hip abductor machine at the gym. Men never, ever go on this machine. We don't have muscles there. Remember the song you learned as a child, "The back bone is connected to the neck bone, the neck bone is ..." Well that works with muscles. I suffered a groin pull my sophomore year of high school running cross country and it never fully healed. It's always going to be there. I got on the OB-GYN of malehood destruction earlier this week. I felt discomfort in an area a man should never, ever feel.

Notice, the man is standing and NOT on the machine




* Somebody at NBC has a giant mancrush on Michael Phelps. Really, is there any event going on in Bejing besides swimming, beach volleyball and child labor? I have no problem with Phelps, nor with him trying to make history. But really, do we need to see him walking to the pool listening to his iPod anymore times? (And Heather, I know you'll responding with a resounding "YES!!")

Something for the ladies. Go ahead and drool.



* It's been almost a month since I slept in my tent. I'm getting near the homicidal stage here. Maybe Sunday night if things clear up. Saturday I'm heading back to where I saw the bear in the Kenoshas and have aspirations of nabbing three summits - and not ending up as a side dish. Rak and I talked about a long epic day in the mountains on Sunday as well.

* Talking with a Division of Wildlife official earlier this week. She was encouraged that I saw a fairly large bear away from civilization. Most of the fatties are around human development dining on garbage. Great! So I saw the alpha bear of Colorado. Glad I turned back without it noticing me.

* If you enjoy modern style of poetry, pick up some Denise Levertov. I suggest anything before she made the pathos stride from agnosticism back to Christianity. Funny how those who are searching write the better prose.

ARTIST OF POST - Mike Doughty. He's playing Bumbershoot on Sept 1st for all you Washingtonians.

No comments: