15 June 2008

I'm an uncle

OK, I've already been an uncle already, but I'm an uncle again. Ryan Stuart Roth (though Hannah is still referring to him as Baby Orange - inside joke) was born around 6:30 am Chicago time. My sister was blessed with labor lasting all of 10-15 minutes. While the wait for the day to come was long - my sis was dilated for almost three weeks - the delivery was quick and painless.



It's funny that the impetus for me getting a cell phone was the little guy. OK, little is a relative term. He was an ounce under 8 pounds and 20 inches long and there were many days where my sister lamented at the enormous girth of her belly, though she did make good use of it; it wound up being a handy TV remote stand.

Anyways, I got the cell phone because I was going to be gone the weekend in Buena Vista climbing. So I got the cell phone so they could reach me when she finally went into labor. Of course last night was the first time I didn't have the phone on the bedside table in my room - it was in the hall charging.

So I missed the message at 2:30 am of my sister saying rather flatly and matter-of-factly, "My water broke so we're heading to the hospital". I guess that is what happens when you've been on alert for three weeks that you could give birth. Also since he is No. 2, she knew the routine.

Missed my mom's message at 7:30 am - thought the odd noise which grasped me and shook me from the ether of slumber was the alarm on my altimeter watch which I haven't figured out how to disarm. And missed the picture message my brother-in-law sent on his cell phone.

Heck, I didn't realize all of what happened until after I was awake for an hour. Slurping some coffee realized I should check to see if I had any messages. What? WHAT?! Huh, guess they didn't need my moral support, which is all I would be able to supply being over a thousand miles away.

SATURDAY WAS A GOOD DAY


Part of the reason I am inside typing this currently as opposed to being out someplace - had offers to go to Boulder Canyon climbing or to hike up and run down the triple peaks around Boulder (Green, Bear and Boulder Mtns I believe) - is I'm tired. Didn't sleep much Friday night, waking up every hour in anticipation of my alarm screaming obscenities at me early in the morning.

Went out to Boulder and shot a package for the news on the HERA Climb For Life Colorado celebration. Got out there at 7:30 am, talked with a couple of ovarian cancer survivors who were scaling the First Flatiron that day and then joined up with one of several groups cragging in Boulder Canyon.

It was a good shoot, met some great people - all of who spoke highly of founder Sean Patrick; a sentiment I agree with, and was happy with how it turned out on TV.

Click here to watch the video.


My only complaint is they got a name of a person wrong. Alli Rainey is one of the best climbers - male or female - in the world. We decided we liked the name Halli for her better. It upsets me especially since I sent an email to work with the spelling of her name.

After spending the morning shooting and delivering the video to work, took a shower - one of three I had Saturday - and being unable to scrounge up a climbing partner - grabbed my crash pad and headed out to Alderfer / 3 Sisters Open Space for a session.

Was happy to finally complete a long-standing problem I hadn't been able to link up. While it only is a V3 - not an arbitrary figure given by me, but an arbitrary figure given by a climber I saw sending it - there was one move I could sometimes get and another I wasn't able to extend for. Finally figured out the footwork and saw a higher little notch to wedge my right toe into.

While out saw a herd of elk cross about 50 feet in front of me. It was a busy, bountiful winter for the bull elk - there were about 12 calves in the middle of the herd. After a couple of hours, while not pumped or spent, I felt I was done. Completed five traverses, soloed up the formation three times, nailed a long-standing problem and climbed a few more.

While driving back, I decided I didn't want to head home. So I pulled over into the parking lot at O'Fallon Park, grabbed my remaining full Nalgene, a granola bar and my thin book of John Locke philosophy and ran up the trail. Came to some rocks, climbed up - I love my approach shoes, don't think I'll ever need my climbing shoes for the Flatirons ever again.

Excuse the poor pic quality, taken with my phone



Came to more rocks, climbed up some more. Came to a bouldering area, did a few easy problems, chilled on the top, eating and picking apart Locke's faulty logic (he's a poor man Platoist who backs himself into the corner by interchanging idea and quality after cementing the definition of both).

Some slopping ledges with a heel hook



Enjoyed part of the sunset, padded up a highball slab which had a kick halfway through - V2 friction on lichen-drenched steepening slab, ran some more, getting in some hills and got back to the truck.

ARTIST OF POST - Death Cab for Cutie. Enjoy this song as it vaguely intersects part of my recent past.

No comments: