22 March 2008

Red noses, cut fingers

It was cold Saturday afternoon, much colder than the 41 degrees flashed on the bank clock in the historic downtown Evergreen. Yet there I was driving to meet three other guys for a tour of 3 Sisters/Alderfer Park.

I was a little apprehensive. I love this place and was eager to share my knowledge with some friends. I was concerned they wouldn't have as good of a time. Maybe the secret project wall I luckily stumbled upon wasn't quite as magical as I remember it being. We would find out soon enough.

We started at the Big Boulder for a warm-up, though I believe on a day like this, that would be a misnomer. After a couple of problems, I dug into my pack and tore open the chemical hand warmers to stuff into my pockets. They became a big hit as we tossed them around to each other to dispense with the numbness that crept in after pretty much each problem.

Ian sends an easier traverse/gaston




I kept it nice and easy, trying to conserve my energy and the skin on my tips. I've spent enough time at this rock that I should be paying rent. For the rest of the crew this was their first time here, so it was a brand new playground.

Rak getting shutdown after making the send earlier.




Ian, proving he has no fear of heights, going highball for the second of three times.



Actually I don't think I would call it a highball, a free solo is more apt. I felt rather helpless moving the crashpad and spotting him as he got over 20 feet. "Well, I can at least try to catch his head if he falls."

Another Ian butt shot



We packed up and headed up and off-trail to the project wall. Rak's dog, Zack, seemed to be recovering from the chunk of stick he had swallowed and was good to go - though his flatulence was deadly and quite honestly, impressive.

My favorite model of the day, Ian again, trying Fingercutter.



I worked a different, more gentle problem while I let Rak and Ian try the hard stuff. After a while I joined in trying to link up Fingercutter.


Rak losing more skin from his fingers. Sorry about the sideways video.




Ian causes some bodily harm



Rak cut and bloodied three fingers trying the problem, quickly depleting my supply of band-aids in my first-aid kit. Ian somehow mashed his hand and whacked his knee pretty good. I was lucky. I sent the problem. I saw where I needed to shift my body weight and get my feet before matching hands on a really shitty sloping shelf. Instead of trying to keep my feet on the wall, I just yarded up on my left hand and threw to the hold.

The key is grunting and swearing - I let loose and let my Chicago Italian heritage shine forth - while getting through the crux. Another F bomb as I grabbed a small crimp with the left hand and paygold with the final move for the right hand.

I was at the top but I didn't top off. Rak later asked me why I didn't. Instead of going into how it was a long walk around and there was a lot of snow up top, I just told him I didn't know why. I was just happy to send the problem.

I asked what he thought it went at. He replied V4. Now I figure if it's hard and I can do it, it's V2. If it's really hard but eventually I can do it, it's V3. It has been several years since I did a V4, so hell, I'll take the feather in my cap. Maybe I'm not as bad of a climber as I view myself to be.

Afterwards we hit the Morrison Inn to thaw our bodies - the bank clock stated 34 on the return journey through Evergreen - with margaritas and burritos.

ARTIST OF POST
- Depeche Mode. I heard a few weeks ago that this song would now be considered Classics, meaning old-foogie music. Screw them, I caught myself singing Personal Jesus as it played on my iPod.

1 comment:

nodose said...

looks like you all had a great time despite the chill