09 December 2007

I left my heart in Seattle, and my mittens, and my...

When going on a trip, it isn't a matter of "Did I forget something?" as much as it is, "What did I forget?"

I had a reverse case of this and it didn't show up until this morning as I packed up to go on a snowshoe trip. I already knew I lost my OR shell mittens. Those were good gloves that have been on many adventures. The backpack I was borrowing didn't have a pocket for my avy shovel. So it needed to be tied up to the pack's daisy chain. Well, the upper pocket wasn't zipped up all of the way (1/2 inch open) and the weight of the shovel and my jostling caused the pocket to open.

I know the area where my mitts are at. The chances of ever finding them again are slim to none. Given that it was a matter of survival skiing back down on Thursday due to consolidated snow with the death ice crust on top, I wasn't going to go traversing the steep slopes I skied down again for two miles for the mitts.



Also MIA is my pair of gaiters and my fleece insert gloves. Those I am pretty sure are in the basement of Mike & Mary's house.



I managed to get by without them on my trip up outside of Evergreen. Though I feel if there was another six inches of snow, it would have not only made the journey more enjoyable, but I would've had some wet feet going sans gaiters.

The area was pretty with all of the pines covered with snow and the views were rather good from the summit rocks. Only Evans and Bierstadt of the big mountains were showing due to high clouds. Nearly lost my binoculars. As I scrambled over to a pedestal rock, I slipped on the snow-covered slab and my binocs went flying from my hand. Thankfully it came to a rest only shortly below me. A few more feet and they would have landed a good 2-3 hundred feet down.

ARTIST OF THE POST - Billy Bragg. Hard to believe this song was written over 20 years ago. It still rocks.

No comments: