27 December 2007

Children are good for the soul

Christmas was ... different this year. And I can admit it was very difficult on the days leading up to the celebratory day, so much I didn't want to fly to Chicago to spend the time with my family.

The holidays are a fecundity to emotions - both positive and negative; it is a moment for reflection as you take stock of what is dear, how you celebrate those whom are important, and how you might have been too cavalier in your appreciation - it is easy to take family for granted since they have been there for your life.

Getting through this was much easier with a diminutive, 26-month-old Avatar who greeted me every morning with the mantra of, "Get up Dude. Get up Dude. Get up Dude."



The memories of playing with my little niece, be it coloring (yes I stayed within the lines), running around the dining room table until I got dizzy or playing hide n seek with her will be cherished ones - and probably good fodder for when she gets old enough to start dating!!

The only awkward part was when she arrived at my bedroom in my sister's house to begin her morning chanting. Dane had brought up her big gift the night before while she slept - a new Radio Flyer tricycle. As I fought through the fog that swirls in my head during the journey to consciousness, she turned around and spied the gift.

"Bicycle? Hannah bicycle?" she asked looking at me quizzically and waiting for the affirmation to answer her questions.

Uh oh! This was supposed to be a surprise that was to be shared with her parents, not a sleepy, half-naked dude.

"Um, go ask daddy. Go get daddy."

Unfortunately that experience was stolen away from Heather and Dane, but don't worry guys, it is locked away safely in my memory and it was incredible seeing the cognizance take shape in her face.



Hannah looks out the window after her cousins left Christmas night



Unfortunately I had used my new camera for a total of two minutes before this picture was taken. The lighting present was perfect, bathing Hannah in a ocher glow that tickled her face before surrendering to the darkness. I guess I have some reading to do.


ARTIST OF POST - Jack Johnson. Because I can't help but think of my little niece when I hear the "monkey song".

No comments: