09 March 2009

I chose the path that wasn't there

One of the things I enjoy greatly about Colorado after spending a number of years in the temperate jungles of the Pacific Northwest, is off-trail travel is so simple.

True there are excepts and the biggest one I've encountered is in the Kenosha Mtns. However, every place else, it is a breeze. No dense vegetation, no impenetrable thickets of slide alder and devil's club. Just find a bearing and go.

Sunday was beautiful and I wasn't going to waste the afternoon inside. The divots in my hands are still healing - and quite rapidly - from the bouldering debacle from the middle of the week, so climbing was out. I also remained apprehensive of mountain biking for the same reason.

So a nice easy hike was on the menu. Jess was up for the distraction and I was pleased to share a quiet hidden eyrie with her. For me it's a close-by secret place and I don't just anybody learn of those.

After a couple quick miles on the trail, we cut off through some scrub oak and scrambled up some easy 3rd-class to the ridge. Normally I like tackling a crumbling tower which acts as a rampart to the edge of the ridge. But I had company so I was going to behave.

Jess coming up the last bit of scrambling


There is a little bouldering wall in the area. While it is terribly brittle and friable sandstone, I have had a few mellow sessions on it. The one drawback; a bad fall could lead to a long fall off the ridge.

One of my favorite features up here, a long catwalk of folded sandstone. It conjures up what I think petrified brain would look like.



Funny thing is the wind started raging once we got off the trail. It never mitigated during our stay up there. I would call it strong gusts, but it was a continuous gale with only a pocketful of brief interruptions.

After finding a nice nook to lounge in, we passed the eating, talking and just plain enjoying each other's company.

Jess gives her approval

No comments: