13 January 2009

A perfect rest day

The plan was to do nothing but maybe clean the condo today. Then I stepped outside....

Less than 10 minutes later I was heading towards the hills, clothes changed and backpack with stuff shoveled in haphazzardly with the snowshoes lashed on.

Life is about having fun, playing hard and eating well. I accomplished all three today.







Since it was a late start, I just went to Deer Creek Canyon. The conditions were perfect; so good I never put the snowshoes on, just took them for a nice day out.

After a little bit of trail, I decided to try my straight-up climb of Mt Herman. Normally you need a good dumping and good consolidation of the snow to make the 45-50 degree slog not miserable. And Tuesday was the perfect conditions.

Picking a way through the never-ending thicket



It's funny. It was my fourth time up to the top of Mt Herman, and I've never ever gotten there by the trail that goes to the top.

The unspoiled trail which I intersected just shy of the top



Summit Rocks


Looking down on the affluent neighbors



Reversing my way would have resulted in much sliding, bruising and stabbing. So I decided to actually take a trail. Gasp!







On my way back down, I noticed a broad ridge across the drainage which was beaconing me. I had to oblige. Some steep hiking and some rock scrambling brought me to the top of Plymouth Mountain.



Summit Rock. A wet and snowy V1 on the east face and on the south side. I gently padded up the slab, loving my mountaineering boots for edging so well and not falling on the tumbled blocks which would dice me below.





Only fell flat on my ass once on the steep way down, when I stepped on a snow-covered slab. Oops!

Some natives nibbling a late-afternoon snack


Of course one should end a day with a terrific meal polished off with a glass of Camenere. It was the best meal I have had in a very long time. The sad thing is I could make it again and not capture the culinary magic which occurred that night in the kitchen.

No comments: